In 1985, finding no school that met the needs of their children, Pegi Young and Jim Forderer, in conjunction with Dr. Marilyn Buzolich, a speech and language pathologist, took a bold step that would impact the lives of children with severe speech and physical impairments.
They proposed a school dedicated to providing an environment where children with complex communication needs and severe physical disabilities could learn, grow and thrive while developing the specific skills and abilities each child is likely to need to be successful as adults and to realize a high quality of life.
Their dreams were thwarted due to a lack of funds, but on October 13, 1986, a concert with Neil Young and his friends raised the necessary money to start The Bridge School.
The Bridge School Benefit is an annual non-profit charity concert held in Mountain View, California every October at the Shoreline Amphitheater.
The concerts are all organized by musician Neil Young and his wife, Pegi. Proceeds benefit The Bridge School. The first concert was in October 1986, and, with the exception of 1987, the concert has been held every year since. As a practice, but not a rule, the performers use acoustic instruments. Young also personally performs every year.
Here are their beliefs....
- Everyone should have the opportunity to achieve his or her maximal potential.
- Everyone should have the opportunity to share knowledge, express feelings and be heard.
- Everyone should actively participate in his or her own learning.
- All children should have access to a quality education that encompasses a broad base of knowledge and experiences.
- Children, families, and educators must work in partnership to effectively support learning.
- Everyone should have access to a holistic communication system and technology is a tool that can enhance the communication and learning process
We are humbled and in awe of all they do. Their director Viki, and the many teachers and therapists at The Bridge School, will forever change the lives of these children, their families and the people who they touch.
We are honored to know them and are grateful to be able to get a small glimpse of the lives and wonderful things The Bridge School children achieve.
Here is the line up for this years concert.....